Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A Private Concert and Lunch at Sister Pacheco's home

We had a lovely experience when the choir that sang at our Christmas Devotional came and sang to the temple missionaries before a training meeting. They were at least as wonderful as they were in the stake center. We felt very privileged to have a special concert just for us. They also shared their experience of singing at the temple dedication 14 years ago. They said that they were sure that their voices were joined by others beyond the veil during the dedication meeting. They remember their experience vividly and enjoyed sharing it with us.


Sister Pacheco is a small, regal lady who has worked in the temple for many years. She apparently has quite a life story. I found a copy of the book she has written about her life and am in the process of reading it. It is in Spanish so it will take me a while. She invited the Tuesday morning shift and all of the temple missionaries and the president and his wife to her home on January 6th (which is the official end of the Christmas season and was conveniently on a Monday) to come and have lunch with her and welcome the new year. She lives about a 1/2 hour away from the temple by taxi and we traveled with the Martins. When President Groberg and his wife arrived we were welcomed formally by Sister Pacheco with a speech. Sister Viteri conducted and we had a spiritual thought by Brother Estrella and then each of us was asked to say a few words. Spanish speakers have a hard time saying only a few words but I enjoyed it and was able to understand most of what was said. It was all positive and grateful and a very nice beginning to a new year. We were served pork chops, Russian salad (a potato salad with lots of extra stuff in it), rice and something I thought was very strange. I was surprised that it was cold and I couldn't identify what it was. Another cultural mystery. I should ask Sister Chiza. Sister Pacheco tried to send some home with me later and I deferred - I hope tactfully.
Sister Chiza, Sister Gallo, Brother Chamorro, Sister ?, Brother Estrella, Sister Estrella, Sister Pacheco, Sister Groberg, President Groberg, Brother Zuñiga, Sister Zuñiga, 
 Sister Landetta, Sister Chiza and Sister Gallo
 Sister Estrella, Sister Pacheco, The Grobergs
Christmas tree, nativity scene, the painting of the Salt Lake temple was done by Sister Pacheco
Sister Groberg telling us about Sister Pacheco's book.
 Another of Sister Pacheco's paintings
She painted this view from the living room's front balcony. The Christmas tree is in the right corner location in the painting. The balcony visible in the photo above is on the side wall of the living room. We are on the second floor of the house.
The Martins are thanking Sister Pacheco, in her kitchen, for a lovely afternoon.

No comments: