Ecuador is a shopper's paradise. There are hundreds of unique things that are handcrafted and sold for very reasonable prices. I wish I could bring a boatload home to share with everyone. But we are too poor and also too cheap to do that. (Plus we can't even bring home the luggage we brought without paying extra now.) I wanted to show you photos of some cute things I have bought. Grandpa tries to keep me out of stores but I remind him that I only buy a fraction of what the other senior couples have purchased and I need to appreciate the culture. Many people here work long and hard to produce lovely things and receive very little money for their talent and labor.
Morgan and her dad are coming to visit us during Easter vacation. We are very excited about that! I'll bet she wouldn't mind purchasing a thing or two for you if you sent her a little money. I have not asked Nancy or Morgan how they feel about that suggestion, but if you are tempted you could ask them.
I think in our own country we have gotten away a bit from the labor and the satisfaction of creating things with our own hands. We should not take for granted the time and patience of those who make lovely things and appreciate the beauty that is possible with simple materials. It is also interesting that this country allows everyone to sell most anything, most anyplace. It is possible for anyone to create their product and then go out and sell it.

My favorites are the nativity sets. They have them in many different sizes and types. These two are quite small and the larger one cost about $5. The one below is about 4 1/2 inches high. I saw a wonderful, much larger set with shepherds, wise men and animals with much more detailed carving. It cost $48 and I didn't get it then, but I might if I find another one. A stylized wooden one (with a clear finish) with two separate donkeys is in my post about our office decor. Sister Yost bought that one for $20.


The little one below is carved from a tagua nut. It is called vegetable ivory here and beautiful things are made from it - lovely and delicate figurines and also colorful and chunky jewelry. This little nativity cost me $2.50. It is about 2 inches high.

This necklace below was made by a member of the church. The cord slides to adjust the size. It cost about $3.

This is a fun baked clay bird that you fill with water and blow to make a warbling bird song. $1.50.

There are a huge number of bags for sale. Tiny ones, and on up to luggage sized in an incredible variety of fabrics and shapes. This one is hand woven wool and cost less than $4.

This is a 50 cent bracelet made of tagua nut circles that have been dyed and strung on two rows of elastic.

These are hand knitted finger puppets. Most were 50 cents, a couple were $1.

This knitted chicken is very cute and could be used as a pincushion. $5.

I love these carved gourds. They burn them to blacken and then take off layers to create animals. There are large ones that are serious works of art with traditional designs or whole landscapes engraved on them. Amazing. I bought some owls and guinea pigs. $3 - $8.


These are clay flutes that can really play a tune if you know how. I don't. $1 - $2.

This parrot is carved from balsa wood and painted. I also have a fish. They are from Puyo. $3.50.

My very soft llama. He cost me $12 and you have to wash your hands to pet him because I liked the white one.

Just wanted to share. We live in a world of endless possibilities. What are you creating today? We can make tangible things, we can serve others, we can make lovely memories. We are creating our lives day by day. We love you. We miss you. But we are happy and enjoying our lives here and now as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment