Sunday, March 27, 2011

Grandma's Big Adventure

Can you guess what we are about to do? We went to Mindo, a small mountain town about half way down the mountain from Quito. This little town has turned itself into a tourist destination and we were ready to ride the "Zipline through the Cloud Forest at the Canopy Level". That is what they advertised and we loved it! Above I am with Sister Dresen.

Here I am at the beginning of my journey. Grandpa is safely on the ground taking the photos which is a very important job and provides evidence of our adventure.

There I go. I thought it was very fun. You are moving too fast to really see if there are birds in the trees or animals down below but it is a thrill. The first leg is across a valley. When you get to the other side you have to walk up to the top of the mountain so you can slide down to where you came from. That was the hard part. It had been raining and it was a bit slippery and in my elderly mind it was very steep and a long way up. But then we got to slide down again and the second leg was faster. We were supposed to hold the cable (behind the pulley!) and slow ourselves down if necessary. There is a block of wood sewed into the palm of the gloves. I guess I came in too fast, the guy had to catch me. But we both stayed on the platform just fine.

Come and visit us in Ecuador and you too can fly over Mindo...

1 comment:

Our Family said...

Wow!!! Jeri, you are brave.