Wednesday, June 26, 2024

June

 

Beverly always gets up early. She didn’t want breakfast. She and Lewis read the comics on the computer and they both checked out their news sources. I did my Come Follow Me app and Duolingo. Beverly wanted to have some time with her mother while Colin was still sleeping so she left before 7:00. We will get to see her again on her way home. We have already agreed on pizza as our guilty but much-enjoyed dinner to be. Sent a birthday e-card to Daniel. We did our referrals. Talked to Rich and Khristine as they both made dinner. Pizza again, but they are making calzones – pizza rolls. We talked with Joyce also and found her in pain. She had surgery that is supposed to help her back, but the healing time is long and she is miserable. Hope the results will be worth the hard times right now. It takes a while to catch up with all of our family members but we love sharing and feeling blessed even with the things we wish were different. We know that our Savior can fix everything a person wants to change. But we are blessed with challenges often. We talked with Rosie. She is going to the temple every week. That is wonderful. She enjoys it and getting a lot of ordinance work done. She plans to come to visit us in CA in August when Nancy and David are driving down.

I sent out more information about our Family Reunion 2024. It is coming together.

Sunday, June 2, 2024

No extra meetings on Fast Sunday. We had a good meeting and Sunday School. There was a young mother with a 2-month-old baby that we haven’t met yet. We have a young family, the Bradleys, in our Branch. Both are returned missionaries who speak Spanish. He is the Sunday School President. There are two Primary girls and a 3-month-old son. The mom showed the new Spanish girl the “mother’s room” and helped her feel more comfortable with a new baby in a room with a lot of people. 

                                                          A quick snapshot of a few people

We were able to go to Evan’s Seminary Graduation at 7:00. It was great. 4 short talks by 4 seniors. The younger Seminary students each stood to be recognized. Also, all of the teachers and principals were acknowledged. Each of the Seniors went up to the podium and received their diploma given to them by their Bishop. Their teachers had written a paragraph about each one, noting their strengths and contributions. I was impressed. The first, second, and third-year students picked up their certificates in some of the classrooms and we all enjoyed refreshments in the cultural hall. 

                                               Ella, Edgar, Emily, Evan, Lewis, Jeri, Emmett

Monday, June 3, 2024

Carter’s birthday today. Referrals take time. Lewis made a batch of bread. We went to Camarillo to deliver fresh bread to Gabina Corral. We are still trying to strike up a conversation with her but again she was not home. One of their children was there to accept the bread. We left one with Azu Parra who is still recuperating from her surgery. We found no one at home at the Rangels. We are trying to share Temple and Family History information with them. Not a lot of success, yet. Lewis made more bread when we got home. We’ll try again tomorrow.

Tuesday, June 4, 2024

We went for a walk. Sent an e-card to Krysten Snyder for her birthday. Lewis went to the doctor by himself. His eyes are red and itchy and he hasn’t found relief with several attempts. The woman he talked with today says it is dandruff on the eyelashes. She wants him to wash his eyelids and lashes with ½ water and ½ baby shampoo 3 times a day. We hope that will help. I am coughing a medium amount but overall feeling somewhat better. I got my referrals done and tried to get the photos from April and May out of iCloud and into my computer as I have done for years. I failed and was getting pretty frustrated. I always select save as but I was not getting a chance to select the file where the photos would go. Had to quit. Hope things are better tomorrow.

Christie called. So happy to have the chance to talk with her. She told about how touched she was when Thomas showed her love by having her love note tattooed on his arm. Dior’s mother has been hiding from them which is sad. Marcello went back to Lorena. She has healed enough and can manage again. Jacey and Calvin will be at the Family Reunion for part of the time. Travis’s foot separated where it should not have. He is back to no weight on his foot again. It is so discouraging that his healing is taking such a long time.

Emily found enough tickets so the Omar Arellano family and Lewis and I were able to go with them to Evan’s Rancho Campana High School Graduation. It was about as riveting as most graduations are but we were happy to be there to support Evan and celebrate his accomplishments. They had photos of all the seniors and it was fun to see their pictures. Evan received a special award for bilingual excellence. 







Afterward, we went to Hunan Gardens and we all enjoyed a delicious Chinese dinner. It was delicious and we had fun together. The twins each had some silly putty stuff that kept them engaged after they ate.

We are on our own with the English Connect classes. Lewis had 4 of the 5 Martinez family members. Ana was with me. Martha didn’t feel well enough but said she would come on Thursday. Ana is doing well with her pronunciation. I am discovering that the Book 2s are not assembled well. Ana’s book had a page of Book 1 in her Book 2. We need a capable and consistent teacher and have the Stake pay for more books for our students. We took the Martinez couple on a quick tour of the building. The husband knows John Michael Bradley, our Sunday School President. 

Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Did referrals. Downloaded more photos and updated April with photos. Still need the ones on iCloud. We went to Camarillo and talked about family history and the temple with the Rangills. Went to see the Laws and the Zurchers. Left a loaf of bread with each of them. Lewis spent much of the day attempting to get new car insurance. Our provider canceled the insurance because they don’t insure cars for CA residents. It costs a lot more here. Not convenient. I’m glad he is solving the problem.

Thursday, June 6, 2024

I spent most of the day sending texts to the missionaries of all of the brand-new referrals and the outstanding requests in Camarillo, Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks, and Simi Valley Areas. Takes a long time but hopefully helps the missionaries to be more efficient. It is Ella's birthday today and Catalina's also. Lewis made more bread. Ana texted me in English and said she was not able to come to our English class tonight. Downloaded some of my iCloud photos. Have to do them one by one. Ugh! English Connect class at 7:00. No one was there until 7:10. Severio and Jacqueline couldn’t come but their three nephews did arrive. A bit later Martha came so we left to the room across the hall. She isn’t really interested in learning more English. She speaks it well. She wanted to talk about her health and her trip to Mexico next month. She does have difficult health issues and she thinks that she now is on a path that will help her. I hope she is right. She is very sensitive. She said she likes to talk with me because I don’t tell her what to do. She needs more supportive friends. I’m glad I can perhaps help in some way. She has a lot of responsibilities with her 6 children and she has done all she could for her children. Four live with her and two are in Mexico. 

Friday, June 7, 2024

Did referrals and vacuumed. Met Beverly at the car rental place at the Oxnard Airport which is very close to our townhouse. We had arranged to go out to lunch with David and Jenny. We went to the Toppers at Channel Islands harbor. The food was delicious and we had fun talking about all of the Pettingill family members. I’m so glad that they do want to feel close to one another. They also asked questions about my daughters and their families as well. Jenny is amazing with her ability to keep so many people straight in her mind. We had fun talking about all of their travels and the beautiful things they had seen. They had a wonderful trip to Hawaii and time to hike and enjoy the flora and fauna on the island.

Lewis remembered he needed a hat before we went to Emmett’s graduation. We got sunburned at Evan’s graduation. We went to a Walmart that was almost only groceries. First time I’ve seen that. We went to Target and he chose a baseball cap. I can’t find the one I bought from home. I’ll borrow one from Emily. Beverly commented on the Red Robin restaurant we were near. She is going home tomorrow morning and is thinking that she will go back to her 4-hour eating window every day. So, we all decided to eat a hamburger and French fries as a final splurge. We are all good a talking ourselves into being naughty. We did enjoy it and the company as well. I'm so glad that Beverly wants to spend time with her Dad and me. She is an amazing woman who has had so much positive influence on her hundreds of students over the years. She cares and often sacrifices to be helpful and supportive. 

Saturday, June 8, 2024

Lewis woke me up at 5:00 instead of 6:00. But we had a relaxing morning and piled everything into the car at 7:00 to take Beverly to the Burbank airport. Traffic was light and she got there with loads of time, which she likes. There was a big storm moving toward Denver but Beverly texted us that she had arrived safely and the storm waited until her flight was completed. She got home safely.

I spent time and finished moving all of my iCloud photos into Lightroom and tagged them. I need to put them up on the blog. We were planning to go out to dinner with the office missionaries but we looked at the menu and all they serve is seafood. So, we texted them and told them that it wouldn’t be wise for us to eat there because of Lewis' allergy to seafood. It was kind of them to invite us. They are with each other almost daily. Good people. 

Sunday, June 9, 2024

I got the brand-new referrals done before we had to leave. We had meetings both before and after church. Before we had the branch correlation meeting. We have a picnic planned for Saturday to honor the Dads. On Sunday all are to bring pies to enjoy Pies for Guys after church. We only had a medium attendance at Sacrament Meeting. But the room is pretty full. Ana was there for the first time. This is not the Ana who has been attending English class. She is waiting for Martha to come with her I think. The new Ana has only been here in our country for 3 weeks. She is looking for work. She seemed to like Relief Society and read a portion of the lesson like everyone else. She seems very nice and worried about how she will be able to survive here. She has met the Elders and had a lesson. I hope she can find a job. After church, we had a missionary correlation meeting. They are teaching 20 people currently. Wow. President Parra wants to create a ministering system with serious investigators. It would be great to have a family look out for the new family and be sure they are invited to everything and have a friendly and sincere connection with members.

We went to Emily’s house for Ella’s final birthday celebrations. She had a special dinner on her real day, then a peers' party dinner, and now a family dinner. She is an amazing young woman and seems older and more mature than her 12 years. All of Omar’s family and David and Jenny were there as well as us. Delicious food and lovely people.




Monday, June 10, 2024

We went to Winco and the pharmacy for another kind of meds for his eyes. Lots of referrals to take care of. I did get back to the photos in the afternoon. I finished April and most of May. I cooked more grains for my breakfasts and Migas because I like them. Sometimes Lewis wants some too.

Tuesday, June 11, 2024

It is Christie’s Birthday! I sent her an e-card and a text. We went to Toppers to have lunch with Emily. An indulgence we enjoy almost as much as the company. Very pleasant to hear more about Italy and their plans for this summer. Edgar and Evan are going to Ohio to do more remodeling for two weeks. She has another family dinner next Sunday for Father’s Day. So many dinners and we all enjoy them. I did even more than usual of the referrals. The numbers are higher but so are the new referrals. I previously had three teaching areas that were not keeping up but all of that has been cleaned out and fixed. Maybe better numbers are here to stay?

The gloomy cloudy weather is here to stay so far. I’m glad I'm not at the Beach House. It is not hot or even warm either. Emily says May gray, June gloom is normal. Oxnard is less sunny than Camarillo. But we don’t get the sun in our eyes when we go walking. That is a good thing.

We went to David’s house and three of us got in the back seat of the car. Lewis is trying to make sure that our trip to Lava Hot Springs is organized as well as possible. When we pick up Rosie it will be squishy but that is OK for less than 3 hours. We went to visit the Ramirez family but they were not there. He said that they had to move out of their house. Lewis let Hermano Avila (the Elder's Quorum President)  know so he could check up on them. We were just telling them about the picnic on Saturday. We had some extra time so we went to the gelato place. It is still delicious. I love the lemon pistachio flavor! English class was an all-time high for us. The 5 Martinez family, Jose, Ana, and our pros: Ana and Martha. That is 9 students! President Rodriguez was there for an interview. He and the missionaries helped with the practice exercises at the end of the lesson. The missionaries gave the spiritual thought and President Rodriguez said the closing prayer. It was lovely to hear him praying for our class members and their happiness.

 Wednesday, June 12, 2024

We are in the mission office today because everyone else is at a Zone Conference up north. We answer the phone and receive the mail.  I can certainly do my referrals here but I have to delay until after the Social Media Zoom meeting begins at 9:00 AM. Learned new things but didn’t have enough foundation to understand well. There is a way to do Facebook without using the Facebook App. ? Messinger can give access to groups that might be interested in learning more about Jesus Christ, etc. They can send and receive messages and preach the Gospel. The missions that use this system are worldwide and the current key indicator is that 20% of the referrals choose to learn more and want lessons. All of these missions have something over 10% so it is working well and improving over time.

For the brand-new referrals from today 6 out of 7 are for the English class. There is a huge need to speak English if you live in the United States. The lack of English limits job opportunities severely. I sent a text to Jennifer Ramirez to ask if her restaurant might need another employee. Ana is very discouraged because she has not found anyone willing to hire her yet. Learning English is not a quick process. But it can be done. Ana and Martha prove it.

Good meme I saw online – When you have a problem, don’t Google it, Pray.

Thursday, June 13, 2024

More referrals for the English class with all the others. We went to Emmett’s graduation from University Preparation Charter School. 

 They said once a dolphin you are always a dolphin. I was very impressed with the talks. Kids spoke almost as much as adults. They had a woman and her brother who graduated from 8th grade 12 years ago. She is getting a doctorate at UCLA or was it USC? I don’t remember. Her brother was wearing a uniform. Military or Police? I’m not sure. They spoke directly and encouragingly to the students. There were also musical numbers and an impressive dance routine with all of the seniors participating in turns. The talk by one of the 8th graders was excellent. She did a great job in both the content and the delivery. I would like to know her. There was the moving in and the moving out with the usual processions. Lots of photos and celebrating with family and friends.





                                               


We had an English class and did not wait to go out to dinner with all of the Arellanos so we missed their dinner. They ended up in the sushi restaurant so Lewis wasn't sad. We had a Pollo Bowl and had 9 students in our class tonight!  Ana Montoya is with me. Martha did not come but that allowed Ana to read more and I could correct her pronunciation. She is doing well. We finished the Proclamation to the World on the Family. It was something she strongly approved of. The words are formal so she was not familiar with all of them. She wants to be held to a high standard. She told me she is taking a US History class at the college she attends. I admire her interest in learning and the work she puts into it.

Danny Sanchez came afterward and we had a missionary meeting. He put up about 12 names of people who might choose to be baptized soon. We have dates set for two. We chose members who might be able to assist each of these people. Lots of good things are happening. I certainly wish we could create jobs but we don't know how to do that. It is difficult to find jobs for people who don’t speak the language.

Friday, June 14, 2024

We are the only ones in the office today. I was able to do a lot of the referrals. Things are going pretty well. It is hard to get a good balance between doing everything you can to find them vs if they are not interested, sometimes they need to cut out the deadwood and have time with those who do want to talk with them. The missionaries certainly have a lot of things to do. I also sent text messages to several people who might not have heard about our Branch picnic tomorrow. Lewis was bored so he went to Winco and then drove back to our apartment and put the food away before he came back to the office. Half a dozen phone calls and some mail and packages were the extent of the work here in the office today.

Saturday, June 15, 2024

I finished making the fruit salad. We went to the Ponderosa picnic at 11:00. They had the big barbeque going and started cooking the hamburgers and hot dogs. They had all the buns and fixings. They also had lots of salads and fresh fruit. It took a while but lots of people came. President Parra told Elder Hogge and Porter to invite the other two sets of Camarillo missionaries to come and have lunch with us. There were leis and a shiny silver ball necklace for the men and a shiny black hat that said Feliz Dia de las Papas. In the grass were stuck a dozen or so little wooden signs with the wonderful qualities of our fathers. Lots of good food to eat and good people to talk with. There was a soccer game set up and lots of the dads and the kids played.  Feed people and they will come. And many of them come back and stay because they feel so welcome.

                                                                      Lewis and Jeri

                                                      Elder Pettingill and Presidente Parra
                                                                           Juan Zircher
                                            Pte. Parra's mother and Aurora Lopez 90 years old
                                                           Elder Hogge and Elder Porter
                                                             Carlos and Vianey Ramirez         
                                                                    Francisco Rivera

                                         


                                     

                                     There was a discussion of the good attributes of our men.

That was just the first part of the day. David and Jenny came over and took us to dinner. We went to Yolanda’s and enjoyed the Mexican food. We were talking about how much love and care we owe to others. That is a hard question. The Lord wants us to follow his example. But are certainly less capable of solving others' problems. We all have the problem of getting ourselves to change the behavior that creates our problems. It is also hard to know the best way to care for other people. We don’t have all of the answers. Life is challenging to be sure. They are both so loving and caring but there must be some limits or you lose the ability to care for yourself. Where do we draw the line? We wish we could solve all the problems our branch members have. Good jobs for people who do not speak English for example. Not easy to find. And anyone who wants to live here pays a huge amount for housing. The next generation is having a hard time feeling confident that they can ever make a good life for themselves and their family.

Sunday, June 16, 2024

Church on Father's Day. Four females talked about Father’s Day and how much we appreciate our fathers. It was Sunday School with Brother Zurcher. Ana, the newest investigator, was with Veronica. I didn’t get a chance to talk with her. I had texted her about the Retirement Home on Carmen that Veronica told me about yesterday. I hope they made that connection and perhaps Ana could learn more about the possibility of a job. It is Father’s Day and the long-standing tradition of Pies for Guys on Father’s Day. There was pie for everyone to enjoy. 

We went to Emily’s home for Father’s Day dinner with Omar and his family. Delicious food and great company. Lots of eating. We are enjoying it and our bodies are storing up for winter and hanging it on us. I wish there was someone else to blame. We love to be at Emily’s house. It was fun and we like honoring our very important fathers.









Monday, June 17, 2024

Lots of referrals to send out so I did them early in the morning. Lewis is suffering still from itchy eyes. The best guess is allergies again. He had an appointment for this morning but the doctor couldn’t go to work.  Lewis took me to the Beach House at about 11:00. I got to spend time with all of my living siblings. Kathy and Christ drove there also and we visited for a while and then went to Beach House Tacos on the Ventura Pier. The food was good and the company was excellent. I was so happy to have some time to talk with my sisters. We didn’t get into much that was deep but it is important to just be able to be ourselves and learn more about our lives. We did talk about our aches and pains. We siblings are getting old and creaky. We took a photo in the Beach House of the surviving siblings. We came back and sat on the four couches that all face each other and got to chat with Katy, and Kasey and Jeremy, Heather, Michael, Scott and Julie, Harmony, Holly. I couldn't remember everyone’s names but they couldn’t either. Their children are young and they were having a wonderful time with Susan’s water babies in the jacuzzi.  



                                                    Siblings at the Beach House June 2024
Tuesday, June 18, 2024

More referrals. I took Lewis to the mission office to drive a new car back to the office. I had an appointment for a medical test. I was late for my appointment because no one had told me to go to a different building. 3 buildings later I was late, but they said I could have my test done at 3:45. I picked up Lewis at the office and went back to the right location. I took my pulmonary test to determine how much air I could take in and blow out at what pressure. I got a clip to close my nose and went through the process a couple of times. Both without an inhaler and after using an inhaler. They sent the results and reported that I am not showing COPD numbers. I guess that is good and I am at least normal.

We had only 6 students at English Connect. The three cousins were not there. Ana is doing well. She does have Gospel Library on her phone. I need to show her things to look for. Martha came also. We go over the lesson quickly and then read church pamphlets that come in both Spanish and English. They each would read a paragraph in Spanish and then in English. They also wanted me to read the English as well. It is helping them to learn to pronounce new words. Ana can remember quite well. She has Adam and Eve down. It is especially hard when the two languages are similar but not the same.

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Walking, breakfast, and beginning the referrals. Today there is another new car drive for Lewis. I dropped him off and picked up Ella for her ortho appointment. Emily is in Moorpark with Emmett for some Boy Scout training event. The timing worked pretty well. I picked up Lewis and he got a haircut.

We went to Kaiser to try to get help for Lewis’ eyes. Today they are much better but he was able to get an appointment. The doctor was great and did a lot of checking. He decided that the cause was allergies and Lewis needed a special med that they were unable to come up with. Supposedly they will let us know when it is available. The things he is currently using will continue to help. The doctor asked about the church because there is a family friend of one of his children who is a good guy and a member of our church. Hurrah for everyone who is a good example.

We came home and had stir fry. It was a lot of driving around today but it was all for good things. We were not disappointed when they didn’t need us for member visits this evening. I put in some more time on referrals before calling it a day.

Thursday, July 20, 2024

We had a very nice man come to our house with all of the escrow papers needed to sign for the new townhome that Lewis bought. It was a very high stack of papers and took quite a while but it all worked out. Lewis had wired the down payment money in the morning and it looks like all is well. One more source of income should be a good thing.

Ana didn’t come to English class. She texted me and said she had something else she must do. Nice of her to let me know. Martha came and she talked most of the time. She needs to talk to a friend and I am happy to listen. She is looking forward to going to Mexico on July 16th and will have time with her son and daughter that live there. We knew that the family wouldn’t be there because it was Silvererio's birthday. Lewis only had the other Ana. We had our missionary correlation meeting afterward. Danny put up the screen and Hermano Law attended remotely. Jose Rangel came to represent the RS and the Elder’s Q. We suggested how to pair up members with investigators so no one is overlooked or neglected. I think it will help. There are so many that we can’t keep up during church time and connect with everyone who is still new. There are two ready for baptism and others are headed that way. Several more are just interested at this point.

Friday, June 21, 2024

Susan’s birthday. We spent the day in the office. Most were up in the north of the mission. Elder Nixon came in for a couple of hours. His wife is babysitting with one of her daughters and her newborn. Her husband said she has attended 20 newborn children so far and is determined to be there for everyone. I sent referral messages to all of my 4 Zones which is about 25 districts. Lots of text messages about all the outstanding referrals they are working with.

Saturday, June 22, 2024

Referrals but not very many. We went car shopping. Lewis has been looking and researching. He needs a car that is easier for him to get into and out of. He is looking at a Kia Sportage, a van Christler Voyager, and a Hyundai Santa Fe. I watched some cooking videos and updated my lists of things to have done before we leave for the Family Reunion in Lava Hot Springs, Idaho.

Sunday, June 23, 2024

We got up early to get ready before Cohen’s Missionary Farewell talk in Sacrament Meeting in American Fork. We have access through Zoom. I’m still blown away by how easy it is to do impossible things with today’s technology. Cohen gave a great talk. He told about how his parents always read the scriptures with their children before going to bed. He said that even if he was the only one and came in late, he was still invited to read with them every time. I’m glad Cohen realizes now that he is grateful for that consistency his parents have practiced for decades. He also mentioned how the Anri-Nephi-Lehi men buried their swords in the ground. He recognized that he needed to bury several things for the duration of his mission. He told us that he was very grateful for his Patriarchal Blessing and is going to remember the phrase “be a witness” during his mission. He is planning to continue to learn that we can do hard things when we are focused on the Lord. He invited all of us to create a closer relationship with our Lord.

Ponderosa Branch correlation meeting before church. We have Sister Gonzalez as our new RS President. She will be great. Sister Parra is still stuck at home to recuperate from her surgery. She did come to church one time but ended up leaving early. She needs more time to heal. Her mother-in-law was not at church so she may have returned to Mexico. We had a second meeting afterward to assign ministering for the investigators. We need to do that to keep them straight in our minds and have someone who is following up personally. We are assigned to visit the Ramirez family tomorrow. They are still in a hotel since the broken pipe happened. Their daughter will be baptized next Saturday. I’m sad we can’t be there for the baptism because we will be in Idaho.

We had Sister Rivera and Brother Corall speak. I had difficulty understanding his talk. Elder Hogge was the final speaker and I could follow him fairly well. Good people all around me. We are all different from each other but have so much  more in common. I’m grateful to have this experience and to get to know these precious people. Sister Gonzalez didn’t have either of her counselors with her today. One is Azu at home and the other is Sister Rangel. She had something come up today and is not here. President Parra and Hermano Law came to RS so she wouldn’t feel alone. Sister Gonzales spent several months fighting cancer in Mexico this year and she won. She said that since she overcame her cancer war, she is grateful that she can carry this responsibility. They are empty nesters and have a strong construction company and they are willing to focus on serving others. I was walking down the hall after church with Emily and introduced her. She knew that Emily was an Arellano as she attended the Oxnard Ward in the past and knows Iris and Omar well.

We gave Emily a package of paper towels we bought accidentally. Lewis thought it was toilet paper. And three leis/necklaces for Ella. I learned that Debi and Wendy are spending the week with Kathy and look forward to going to lunch with them on Wednesday. Did the new referrals and reviewed our lesson for Monday. Next week will be a busy one and then we can enjoy our Family Reunion. I hope everyone who is there will enjoy it as much as I will.

Monday, June 24, 2024

Warm sunny weather for our walks now but the sun is in our eyes. Always something to complain about. Went to Winco for a few things to get us through this week. Friday we will leave for Lava Hot Springs and our Family Reunion.

Lewis wanted to look at cars. He finds it difficult to get in and out of our car. It is low and he has to lift his legs a lot to get over the area under the door. He is trying to decide if he would like a SUV or a Van. They cost more of course and take more gas and the interest rates are much higher than they were when we bought our Kia Nero Plug-In.

We made roasted vegetables with chicken gravy to take to the Senior Missionary FHE evening. They did eat most of it so I guess it was appreciated. We had been asked months ago to provide the lesson. I asked our group to each choose one of the attributes of Christ from Preach My Gospel. They all did and I asked them to spend 3 minutes talking about the attribute they chose. I was impressed by their responses. These are wonderful people who want to be more wonderful. They shared insights about how they learn, how they feel, and what they are looking forward to. Uplifting conversations are a great gift. I had asked our Mission Leaders if they would tell us something wise. They are both humble and great. They thanked us for our efforts and pointed out that our mission has been provided with people who meet our mission’s needs. We are engaged in the Lord’s work and he makes it possible to succeed in our tasks. We didn’t keep it to 3 minutes each but it was a lovely evening on the Mission Home porch that is on the second floor and the evening was beautiful. The food that preceded it was delicious as well. There was no dessert. This was a potluck affair. I was grateful to not be tempted by a dessert.

I missed Debi and Wendy, my sister Kathy's daughters. They couldn't go to lunch on Wednesday and decided to go to dinner on Monday. I missed out. I hope I get another opportunity to see the girls I knew so well as children but haven't seen since - except Wendy at Brent's funeral. 

Tuesday, June 25, 2024

We worked in the office. Sister Nixon is still with her daughter and her new baby. I spent almost the whole time working on the referrals. I texted every companionship in my 4 zones about all of their outstanding contact responsibilities. I praised all the ones that were doing great and had suggestions for those that were lagging. I hope it helps. I have gotten several return texts and thumbs up so that makes me feel better when I have to complain. We did get to go home before 5:00 because others were there as well. I made a green salsa casserole with hominy, corn, white beans, seasonings, and rice. I added a can of petite tomatoes. We both enjoyed it.  Easy to have on hand and put together. But it takes 1 hour and a half to get the brown rice completely cooked.  

Lots of texting with my daughters about last-minute decisions to make the Family Reunion all come together. I’m so grateful that our children are willing to take so much time, effort, and money to make it all happen. They are willing to sacrifice and help either other so things move forward as easily as possible. I hope it comes together in a way that the young and the old can enjoy themselves. It is a lot of work to bring all of their families (or at least the ones at home) and try to please everyone.

Went to our English class and only had 2 students. Mine were not there and only Ana and Jose came for the beginner class. It went well. Ana is pleased that she will have a third interview this week for Panda Express. Jose was telling her that it was a good place to work. She has a certificate from (I’m guessing) a junior college in international restaurants. She is smart and dependable. I’m sure she will be a good employee. They had her interviews in Spanish and I hope all goes well. Jose needs the tire on his bike repaired. We offered them both a ride home and went to the O’Riley’s store. Lewis showed Jose what he needed to repair his tire. Jose was able to purchase what he needed. Hope he can fix it himself. They live close to each other so we dropped them off easily. So many good people just want to work so they can care for themselves and their families.

Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Packed stuff up again to spend the day in the office. I had a haircut appointment so I dropped Lewis off at 9:00 and got my hair cut at 9:30. I was back in not much more than an hour. Emily’s friend is so nice. She would make a great member of our church. But she is living with her boyfriend so they would have to get married. I have enjoyed talking with her this last year. I wish I was as good at making conversation as she is. I keep trying to improve but I have a long way to go. I don’t have as many referrals to work on today and it is too early to repeat the information I sent yesterday. So I found other useful things to do. Lewis took the car to be sure that our tires were in good shape and properly aligned. I sat at the front desk for several hours. Not much in the way of phone calls. Most of the others were involved with the missionaries and the training meetings. Fun to see the missionaries but I don’t have a chance to see them enough to learn the names of very many.

Thursday, June 27, 2024

My Father’s birthday! We went to the car wash and cleaned the car inside and out. We packed our things. Ate leftovers for lunch with David. He helped Lewis to put the cartop on. It went pretty fast and will make carrying our things possible tomorrow. More last-minute texts. Leiann is at our Idaho house today and will pick up paper plates, eating necessities, and whatever she can find in our garage. Cheaper to use what we have than to buy stuff in a small grocery store in Lava Hot Springs. I was trying to find a more comfortable ride for Rosie and she decided not to come. I am sad.

Friday, June 28, 2024

We got up early and went to David’s house before 8:00. David arranged all of the luggage inside the car top and it worked out well. We had a very pleasant drive. We ate bean and cheese burritos. We talked a lot in between listening to our story. They were very patient because they missed the beginning and we kept telling them who was who and why until they could understand the plot. We almost finished it but are left hanging for the trip back to be sure everyone winds up safe and sound. We had a room in Cedar City. Had fun checking out the cost of the houses for sale on the internet as we drove by. Definitely less than California. We went to Panda Express for dinner. It was a good way to end the day. We found out that Rosie will come with Morgan, Hanah, and Noah tomorrow. We are very happy she will be with us for a few days.

Saturday, June 29, 2024       

                I didn't think to take a photo until I ate almost all of my Homemade Amish Oatmeal

I suggested we stop at the cheese factory in Beaver. Jenny is a dedicated cheese lover. We found that it now has a lovely new building called the Creamery and is a tourist-worthy destination. We had fun browsing and had a great breakfast. I loved my breakfast. It was labeled as Homemade Amish oatmeal. I got a huge pancake of lightly crisp oatmeal. It was covered with perfect strawberry slices and blueberries with cream poured over all. It was beautiful and tasted even better. How healthy it was is debatable. I paid $8.00 and will do it again any chance I get. There is a room with a cow statue and lots of info on the walls, videos to watch, and fun things to look at. Lots of things for travelers to buy are attractively arranged. On one side is a small café. We avoided going to the ice cream area at the other end. The sign with paintings of all the flavors was very enticing but we were full already. Don’t miss it if you like ice cream. We looked at all the cheeses. We bought squeaky cheese and a bag of samples of all of the kinds of cheeses they make in that location. I was full so I passed on the cheese. Except I had to try the cheese curds again. I haven’t had any for many years. It is fun to eat as well as tasty. The drive was beautiful through Utah and Idaho. It was a nice contrast from Southern California. 

We found our Conference Center house and it is interesting and old. Unique and charming but with some difficulties. We had a conversation with the manager who said there is no way you can have more people over for dinner. They were worried about 50 people using the toilets and creating too much trash. Lewis talked with the owner. We agreed that 50 people would only be there for dinner and we would eat outside. We also agreed to get rid of all the trash that didn’t fit in our two barrels.

We all went to the local park. It was a lovely park with tables and roofs, a pickleball area, and lots of grass for Spike ball and other games. The young adults had plenty of energy and they had a great time together. We older people enjoyed mostly sitting in the shade and talking with everyone. Emily and her family arrived and almost everyone wanted an ice cream treat. Calvin and Jacey and their families arrived as well. Christie and her family had been with the Bear Lake Family Reunion for the Preisler family but somehow, she pulled off a Potato Bar for all of us. I’m not sure how she had all of them baked and still warm in a very big cooler. They had lots of delicious ways to embellish them and we all enjoyed our dinner together. We did set up all of the tables and chairs in the back yard and now have a nice place for our family members can eat dinner together.

Sunday, June 30, 2024

We had a great discussion in our house about church matters before we left to go to church. It was interesting to imagine how things will work in the next life. We have been given enough information to get us through this life but we don't know all we wish we did about the premortal realm and our next life after our mortal death. David thinks that with an endless eternity ahead of us we should have the opportunity to continue to learn and better understand the consequences of our choices. Sounds reasonable to me but we don't get to tell Heavenly Father how to organize things. I know He loves us and wants the best for His children even more than I want the best for our children. He must have a system where everyone of His children will have a chance to see clearly and choose the best outcome for themselves. I am so emotionally involved with my family. I want everyone to have the very best and the privilege of marriage and family. We think this life is long. On the other side of death, I think our lives will feel short and ever so important. We all need to realize that here and now. I believe that everyone will have a future opportunity to marry if they are unable to do so in this life. But those of us who have that blessing need to take advantage of our opportunity to seal our families together forever through the ordinance of sealing in the Temple. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is building new Temples all over the globe. It is to provide access to all who choose to make the temple covenants and receive the blessings of doing so. 

 We were impressed that we were welcomed to come to church before we even got in the door. They had members outside the building welcoming the many guests. The Bishop was conducting and he made us all glad we were there. We sang all the verses of “The Star-Spangled Banner”. It was long and perfect for the upcoming 4th of July. The Sacrament took a long time because the cultural hall was full of chairs and most of them were occupied. A young service missionary spoke of her experiences and a couple spoke about their recent Senior Mission. They were MLS like us but worked in the office for the first 6 months because they were needed there. Her husband was able to figure out all that was involved with the cars and clean up the recent mess it had been. The wife filled in wherever they needed her. Then they were able to do the job they anticipated and enjoyed that greatly. It was fun for me to see their experience. Every mission is different, and in many ways, we create our own. 

The Sunday School lesson was taught by the Bishop. He is a wonderful teacher and said he felt that talking about the role of prophets was the topic he should address. He put up several scriptures on the board and we discussed what the scriptures say on the topic. He also got a lot of participation with the question: "How has a prophet influenced your life?" Only David Evans, Lewis, and I had stayed for the second hour but we were glad we did. 

Back at home - Rosie arrived with Morgan, Hanna and Noah. Jenny started a cool puzzle. It pictured rows of Legos. She is amazing and fast. Emmett was a contributor for a long time too. Most of us didn’t stick around very long because it was hard. Several games were played. Five Crowns was popular.  Lots of us walked through the town to see what was available.

 We were informed that we were using inside chairs and that was only OK if we took them in overnight. We had been using both indoor and outdoor tables. The maintenance man said that we could take all of the outdoor tables and put them in our backyard but we must bring the chairs in each night. OK. We can do that. Good thing we have so many willing hands to help.

                                        Everyone was happy to help and things went smoothly

Leiann made taco salad for all of us. It was displayed beautifully and the food was very good. The happy surprise was that Cary made several of his popular ice cream desserts. Delicious.

































No comments: