Tuesday, October 10, 2023

California Ventura Mission - September 11, 2023 until September 11, 2024

 First week in the Mission Training Center in Provo, Utah


September 11, 2023 - We spent two weeks at the Mission Training Center at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. These are the newer buildings. We spent most of our time in the older buildings behind these buildings. One of the new buildings has 12 murals that are amazing. They are scenes from the scriptures and are huge and backlit. If you ever get a chance to see these murals do take advantage of it. Jeri has an overview with lots of teaching questions on her computer. I will email a copy to anyone who asks for it. The whole MTC campus is beautiful and well cared for. When the weather is good, some classes are held outside. One of the murals.



Jeri loves to go to classes and take notes. Lewis, not so much, but we both enjoyed our experience with our excellent teachers and the good people who were our fellow students. We were all anticipating our missions worldwide. We had 105 senior missionaries in the first week. There were also thousands of young men and women that we sat with in the cafeteria and at the Devotionals. The numbers were high (typical for late summer) and so were the mood and the energy. There are 82 categories of senior missionaries currently. So many things to do. We focused on Preach My Gospel this first week. The second week will be broken down into smaller classes that cover specific assignments. 

We were told that all missionaries need to teach people how to return to their Heavenly Father. We have a wonderful opportunity to help people. We will engage in the work to gather Israel. President Nelson has told us that this work is "the greatest challenge, the greatest cause, and the greatest work on earth." Our job is to find needs and fill them. We have the privilege of participating in the greatest work in the world. We get a chance to help. We need to be focused on our Purpose, be Christ-centered and Spirit-led. We need to model that the advantage of living the Gospel is that it brings joy and peace into our lives. We all need to use our agency wisely. Our focus should be on the here and now and also on our eternal lives. We understand that we have the option to live with our Heavenly Father again and we need to share that knowledge with others. 

There wasn't room for all of the Senior Missionaries to stay on campus. We were placed in a hotel and were very comfortable. They had a complimentary breakfast buffet. I enjoyed the oatmeal, granola, and fruit. The potatoes were good too. Lewis had those items and liked some other things as well.  



Highlights of the first week. 

I loved this wisdom from somebody's mission president, "Scripture study has a shelf life of one day"

One of our first experiences was to be paired off with another couple and asked to get to know them and then give them an invitation to do something that you think will be appropriate for their needs. We were to promise blessings and bear testimony. We should always help people to use their agency wisely. We should also model the gospel with our actions and reflect the joy that being obedient brings. 

We enjoyed getting to know Elder and Sister Fox and a little of their background. Getting to know people is a lovely adventure. I hope to learn how to be open with people but never pry. The things we have in common are comfortable and their differences are fun to explore and learn from. We were taught that every missionary could benefit from having these 2 goals - To help others feel the Spirit and to invite others to do something that has the ability to bring them closer to our Savior. 

They asked us to text them our testimonies. Lewis wrote this: "I love Jesus Christ. I know he loves the world, and I know he lived, died, and was resurrected so that we could be resurrected too. He suffered for the sins of all those who would believe in Him and repent and follow him. I know he loves each of Father in Heaven's children. To this, I bear my solemn witness." Lewis Pettingill

Jeri wrote more words.   My Testimony of my Savior, Jesus Christ

"I have been taught all of my life that I am a daughter of my Heavenly Father and my Heavenly Mother. I approved the plan and chose to come to earth to receive a body and have experiences that will teach me the difference between good and evil. I was raised as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and chose to be baptized at age 8. I have always believed that my kind and loving parents taught me the truth. As I grew, I read the scriptures, said my prayers, and was very active in all of the programs of the church. I know that Jesus Christ is the Son of Heavenly Father and has paid in full the penalty for all of my sins and weaknesses. If I have faith in my Savior, Jesus Christ, and obey his commandments I will qualify for all of the privileges of those who honor their covenants. I have found throughout my life that I have been guided and blessed. I know that the Book of Mormon is a true record to teach me more about my Savior. I know that the prophet Joseph Smith did see and speak with our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. He was authorized by Them to begin the restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I have experienced serious challenges in my life. They were not solved quickly and efficiently but I was comforted, strengthened, and able to press forward. Looking back, I can see the miracles and feel so very grateful for the blessings that I and my family have received. I have felt love and support from my Savior and I know that he will not override anyone’s agency but he will assist in every way so that all of his children will have the opportunity to receive all the blessings they most desire."

Another skill recommended is to learn the Book of Mormon very well so we can 1. describe the background 2. read a passage together with someone and 3. apply and testify. Pray before reading and afterward. 

Teaching - see Alma 18. Be a servant, follow the spirit, and teach with love. Adapt teaching to meet needs. Bear testimony. Use the scriptures. Ask questions and listen carefully. Encourage others to make commitments. Don't hang back, contribute. Social Media - people who were contacted by social media were baptized in greater numbers than those contacted in person. Perhaps they self-selected but the numbers were higher. Don't discount the tools that the Lord has provided for us. We let the young missionaries lead out when we accompany them. Testify through personal experiences. Ask inspired questions. Listen to the Spirit. We do our best and the Lord can take it from there. We should study Preach My Gospel every day. Prepare with prayer, learning more deeply the doctrine and principles. Become ready and able to encounter someone, and able to have a conversation that will give them an opportunity to draw closer to Jesus Christ. 


The Character of Jesus Christ Experience - repeated each Wednesday evening so everyone can attend once. Joseph Smith taught that we must understand God and his character. Jesus Christ submitted totally to the will of His Father. We need to understand the character attributes of Jesus Christ. The character of Jesus Christ is to turn outward and serve others. We need to do the same. What do our Mission Presidents need from us? Serve to bless and not to impress others. Choose to smile. Is our life in accordance with God's approval? Learn of Him, not just about Him. How do I begin this lifelong pursuit? Pray for help to change. Celebrate where you are and work on being better. Keep at it. We can go from good to better with His grace. We are to invite and help. Tell people how you appreciate their Christ-like attributes. See Preach My Gospel Chapter 6 for the attributes of Jesus Christ.
The natural man is focused on his wants and deeds. The atonement would not have happened without the quality of character that Jesus Christ had developed. The character of Jesus Christ is not turned inward. He is focused outward and desires to serve others. He is love, compassion, and charity. He is not self-centered, self-absorbed, or selfish. Our testimony is turned into conversion when I turn to - not what I want but, what Jesus Christ desires of me. How? Start with being obedient to our Mission Leaders. Find ways to serve. Choose to smile. Don't worry about impressing other people. Pray for help to improve. Celebrate where you are. Work to do better. Keep at it. Line upon line. Pray for patience and grace.

President Monson reminded us that we need courage. Courage to stand for truth and righteousness. Courage is required to refrain from judging others. Be an example of the believers. Have the courage to refrain from gossip and criticism.

YouTube links to a full devotional from 2011 and a retelling of the 20 Marks story - do watch
https://youtu.be/f6bofAYBpN8?si=F0kqI395s-c-BP6h - 2011 version
https://youtu.be/AGS45Fd9nmE?si=vC66OvNpw08IWlq_  - the shorter story of the 20 Marks

We also had a long session with a man who has been doing security for the church for many years. He said to use common sense. Set a good example of prudence. Report anything that should be known by the Mission President and the police (unless the President does that). If anyone tries to rob you of something - just give it to him. Nothing is worth a life. Know that the robber will take your phone. Never let your car have less than 1/2 tank of gas. Drive with your doors locked and the windows up. Hide objects. Don't leave items on the back seat. At a hotel, park near the entrance. Park where it is lighted and near a busy street. Stay in a group of friends if possible. Avoid bad areas. If you feel unsafe then leave. Use difficult passwords. Don't say anything critical on Social Media. Missionaries are representing the Church. Don't share personal stuff. Virtual kidnapping is a real thing and is profitable. Do not discuss politics. Do not treat children like they are your grandchildren. Follow the guidelines of the church. Never give significant gifts, loans, or promises. 


No comments: