Hopefully I will not come home from Ecuador without learning more about the many fruits grown here in this country. Look at some of the fruits available in our grocery store, SuperMaxi, downstairs from where we live:



I have heard that the juice from the sweet tomato is very good - Tomate dulce above

You can recognize these fruits above. Sandia is watermelon.




Coco is coconut. Alyssa and Rachel and Lydia didn't much like the juice right out of the coconut even on a beautiful beach in the DR. I don't like it very much either but I love the coconut meat.
This is the babaco above. Sister Dresen peeled and chopped and simmered and added sugar and cinnamon and some diced apples and we all thought we were eating apple pie filling over our ice cream. Apparently this fruit does not have a lot of flavor of its own but takes on the flavor of its companions.
We can buy Washington State apples but they are quite expensive. Lots of good bananas are available. Ecuador is a major producer of bananas. But they are not grown up here in the mountains!
The prices are per kilo. The amount is in US dollars. A kilo is 2.2 pounds. So we get a little more than twice as much as a pound, if we buy a kilo. On Wednesdays all produce is 20% less. What do you think we should try next?
1 comment:
I would be in heaven there!!! Wow!
Post a Comment