Saturday, May 30, 2009

Small Businesses and a Fortunate Rescue

I missed my opportunity to get a photo of my favorite small business. It was located on this corner very near our apartment. Right here in the dirt, on a wobbly table, was a print shop.

A man would bring two car batteries, lots of paper and a little printer. He usually had several customers waiting for his service. There are many college students who attend a technical school just another block down the street. They bring their homework on a memory stick and he prints out their papers. I haven't seen him for awhile. Life is challenging for small business people. I hope it is just that lately we haven't been by during his business hours.

There are many many street vendors all throughout the Dominican Republic but most are more traditional, like this lady in the bright pink shirt (you can barely see her), selling drinks from an insulated pitcher and gum and candy. Her wares are displayed on a baby stroller. In this country, I have seen lots more strollers used as portable stores than as transportation for small children.

I had to go back and take a photo of this trap below. It at least 6 inches deep. It may look innocent but we got stuck and couldn't drive back out. It is in the parking lot next to the park

where we walk in the mornings. A couple of months ago, when it was pitch dark at 6:00 AM, we pulled too far forward and fell in. The car would not move. We decided to go walking and figure out what to do afterward when it was light. Fortunately, we came upon our Area President, President Johnson and one of the Seventies who lives in Puerto Rico, Elder Alvarado out jogging together. They offered to help. With me in the driver's seat, and three men lifting, the car could back up. We were very happy to have our problem solved and the priesthood leaders not only got their cardio taken care of but some serious strength training as well. We were grateful.

I will end with some pretty photos I took in this park. We moan and complain about our morning walks but we do enjoy getting out and seeing our beautiful world. The first photo is of a painting on the side of the building that serves as the office of the environment police.



Hibiscus grow in California but not in Idaho or Utah. And none of those places have the humidity necessary to grow lovely green moss on pavement. I will have to go back to buying lotion but I do look forward to less humidity.


We love you and miss you but enjoy our opportunities to serve here. Start your lists of things we can do to serve you when we return. Make it a long list so we can pick and choose. We may pick and choose to do the things that we prefer to do.
Lots of love, Grandma and Grandpa Pettingill

No comments: