Friday, March 27, 2009

Photos and Stories

I sent Aunt Joyce (Lewis’ sister) the photos I have taken of some of you wearing Great Grandma Pettingill’s jewelry. You can see the photos on www.pettingillpages.shutterfly.com. I do not have photos of all of you children. If you wish to take a photo of yourselves and/or your children with some jewelry I would love to add it to this “collection”. They do not have to be stuffy photos. One of my favorites is of Adam clipping earrings high up on his ears.

Also, I do want to continue sending photos for birthdays but I do not have current photos. Please send me cute photos of everyone who will have a birthday! I would like the entire file (not reduced in size as for the web) so it will print well. Thank you.


It was a “performance” FHE this week. I read “The Embarrassing Tale of Little Miss Muffet” and Dad read two funny poems about marriage. One was several stanzas with variations of “I will always freely admit that I am right and she is wrong” or “she is free to believe anything that I believe”. The men all clapped. The other was from Ogden Nash and ended with…”When she is right, admit it. If you are right, “hush” up.” The brothers didn’t clap but the sisters smiled at that one. We also enjoyed singing, more poems, a skit and some impressive magic tricks. We had fun, hope you did too at your Family Home Evening.

Brother Call told a story from his mission. He is our oldest missionary; he was the youngest child born in a polygamous marriage in Mexico, was a Mexican citizen and called to serve his first mission in Mexico. He said that his life was threatened several times on his mission and told us about the scariest of those times. He and a new companion (of one week!) were on a bus traveling from one town to another. There was a town in between that did not care for the Mormon missionaries in a serious way. The bus was to have taken them to the far town but all of the rest of the passengers got off in the middle town and the bus driver refused to take only two the additional eight miles. So the missionaries got off and started to walk. When they were a little ways out of town a dozen men started following them. After a while they circled them and began hitting them with the flat sides of their machetes. Then a very drunk man in a black hat joined them with a pistol and started waving it around with the trigger cocked. He sent one of the men back to town to get two ropes and talked about hanging them from a very large tree at the side of the road. The guy with the gun was waving it in front of Elder Call’s face and saying very unkind things. He hit Elder Call in the head with the pistol hard enough to knock him out for a short time. They took all of their stuff and spilled it on the ground. The scriptures and branch records were scattered. All in all, it took a couple of hours of very real danger before they were able to get away and cross over the boundary of that town and into the next where the men were afraid to follow them. They found out later that the man in the black hat had previously killed three men. Yikes! I am grateful that we have not experienced any terror or real threats. And I trust it will stay that way. This happened probably 60 years ago.

We had a funny email exchange with one of our new bosses Brother Bennie Lilly:

Grandpa was talking about a monthly letter we receive from Salt Lake. This month we received it in English but the Spanish version was not our letter but the one directed to Central America.

  • Bennie Lilly wrote back: Should we request the letter for the Caribbean in Spanish? I would be happy to do so for you, if you have not already done so.
  • Grandpa replied: I think it would be good to have it in spanish. I think I have asked for it before but it only gets done on an "as asked" basis.
  • I read that exchange in our emails and complained that Grandpa didn’t answer his question.
  • So Grandpa sent this message: My wife let me know that I didnt answer your question. The answer is yes. It would be nice to have the letter in spanish. I guess I need to be more clear in my communications. thanks,
  • Brother Lilly shot this back: Maybe it’s a man to man thing which your wife will never understand, but I understood you perfectly. You see, I have already requested a copy of the correct letter in Spanish! Occasionally it is great to get something over on the sisters (especially because it is so rare!). Talk to you soon.

Looks like our new boss is a master at interpersonal relations—he allows everyone to win.


Back when we were talking about how to hear the Holy Ghost in Sunday School, I took some notes that I think are helpful. President Packer said, “This burning in the bosom is not purely a physical sensation. It is more like a warm light shining within your being.” I think that is helpful because the phrase “burning in the bosom” is not the same for everyone. I like the phrase “feeling of comfort and serenity” because that is the most I get. I would like something much more dramatic so I don’t feel like I need to question my feelings…but it is sufficient. Usually the Lord gives us answers a piece at a time without the end in sight. That is hard for a person like me who is afraid to make the wrong decision but we get what we need even when we don’t get all that we want.

I also noticed something in D&C 130:19 that never stood out to me before. “And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.” We need diligence and obedience in order to increase our knowledge and intelligence. Sometimes we think we need to break free and do our own thing to increase knowledge and intelligence but No, we always need more diligence and obedience…not to keep us down but to allow us to increase our knowledge and intelligence so we can continue to progress. Obedience brings us more freedom, not less.


One more thought, Domingo told us a story I liked. He said that he was visiting in Santiago where he served his mission and ended up talking with a young woman who, it turns out, was an infant when Domingo taught and converted her family to the Gospel. He asked about all of the family members and had a pleasant conversation. At the end she told him, “I am so happy to meet you, your name has always been spoken of reverently in our home.” All of you future missionaries, what a special honor it will be help a family come to Jesus Christ and be lovingly remembered for the gift of the Gospel you brought to them.


We love you all, Grandma and Grandpa Pettingill



No comments: