We enjoyed good snacks and watched "Father Goose" with Cary Grant and Leslie Caron. The Harris' love old movies and we enjoyed this one. We went home and were fast asleep by the time it was midnight. Old, boring people we are. I understand that in the "great and spacious building" where the East Mission President, the Area President, the DTA (Director of Temporal Affairs) and the CES director lives it was much more lively. The Mission President has three teenage daughters living with them and one visiting from BYU and the Area President had their youngest daughter visiting as well. They were partying long past midnight we were told. This decade seems to be rushing by rather quickly I think.
We had fun going to the Botanical Gardens with the Francoms who live in our building. We should have been going ever since we got here. There is an admission fee but it is a wonderful place to walk, very beautiful and right here in Santo Domingo.
Don't you wish you had a tree like this in your backyard? Look at this other big, big, big tree we found:On another subject, I wanted to tell all of our sons-in-law how much we appreciate them. We were having a conversation with Sister Cairns who had 9 children and a husband who felt that all tasks related to children were her responsibility alone. He never helped. She said that she thought she might go "loco" (She always speaks in Spanish because it is more comfortable for her and I need the practice.) before they grew up. I am so grateful that for you, both the Dads and the Moms make children a priority and share both the work and the fun. Raising a family is hard work. While you are doing the tedious, everyday work of cleaning and serving you are also creating new people with unlimited potential. Changing diapers and sharing love, cleaning the kitchen and shaping attitudes, helping with homework and building character. It is hard to realize at the time that the process of doing all the daily work is the same process of teaching, providing an example and inspiring motivation in a new generation. You are doing it all. We are so proud of what you accomplish and proud of the grandchildren we are related to.
I wanted to report that Olgan's daughter is in the hospital here in Santo Domingo and doing much better. With the proper medication she is improving. Rosanna is getting radiation treatments again and is an amazing example of courage and continuing to work and make progress in the face of difficult problems. She has faith and feels that whatever happens will be the Lord's will. I am going to try and never feel sorry for myself. I have a cold and stayed home sneezing and coughing today. She goes to work feeling far worse. But then I am contagious and she is not.
On Sunday a new baby was blessed. Her name is Sarah Lydia ---- ----. I didn't catch the two last names. She has darker skin than any of our grandchildren but is almost as cute. Lewis and I taught the Sunday School lesson. I noticed when we were first married that Dad liked to read the Doctrine and Covenants. I would choose to read the Book of Mormon. I already knew the story, I loved the familiar prophets and was comfortable in that book. I asked him why he liked to read the D&C. He said that he liked reading the Lord's answers to people's real questions and that he found answers there to questions he had too. I thought at the time that perhaps I should look beyond just comfortable and read more for answers. We are blessed to have all of the scriptures as rich sources of answers for our questions. Questions are good. Keep looking for answers. Hope you enjoy learning about the Doctrine and Covenants in Sunday School this year.
Love you all,
Mom/Grandma
No comments:
Post a Comment