
I would like to take a moment with all my children and grandchildren to share my feelings about why we are on these missions. I would first like each of you to know that I know that God lives and is concerned about each of us. I know that we are here on earth to gain a body and be tested. The purpose is to help us learn who we are and what we want. With that understanding we can see why he doesn’t interfere more with our decisions. How can we learn if we always are getting help from the sidelines? Our choices here on earth cause us to make many mistakes but by suffering the consequences we learn what works and what doesn’t. God knew we would make mistakes and that is why he prepared someone (Jesus Christ) to atone or pay for our mistakes if we wanted to repent or change. Repentance is just changing our attitudes and behavior. We will become who we will become by the things we do and the things we think about. By our fruits, we will be able to recognize who we really are.
I would like to tell each of you that I know that it was necessary for someone to bring mercy to the table of justice to allow us to overcome our mistakes. Justice requires a consequence or penalty for broken law. We cannot understand clearly, perhaps, in this life all of the ramifications of justice but I am confident that God forsaw the difficulties we would confront in this mortal existence and prepared his first born son to provide the way for mercy to pay the price of sin IF we would follow Jesus Christ. It only works if we follow Christ because he only promised to pay for the sins of those who would come and follow his example in the best way they could. Following him requires obedience to certain requirements. (Read Articles of Faith 2, 3 and 4.)
So what does all this have to do with us being on a mission? We are trying to help God prepare the people for the return of His Son, Jesus Christ. We have much to do to get ready for him. One of the things we need to do is become more loving, charitable, and patient with each other. We need to try to build up instead of tear down. We need to have concern as much for others as ourselves. My favorite scripture is in Mosiah 3:19. It explains clearly how our bodies fight with our spirits for dominance. Mosiah taught that the natural man is an enemy of God. Our bodies want to satisfy the physical needs and desires and our spirits do not have much control unless we submit to the influence of the Holy Ghost. Submitting to the influence of the Holy Ghost is the battle because we don’t hear those promptings very easily. We have to be humble, prayerful and quiet. I know that God answers prayers if we will humble ourselves and pray for guidance and then be still and listen to the feelings we get. God speaks to our feelings as much as or more than to our intellect. This comes with practice and experience. But you have to learn to pay attention to your feelings.
I love each of you and pray for your success in this life (and the next) and I know that God will give each of us what we REALLY want. Because our choices show us what we really want.
Love,
Dad and Grandpa
No comments:
Post a Comment